Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Special People #2 Backing Me Up!

And then there were 6...

I couple of posts ago I put out a call for some help with backings and bindings for the Project Improv Charity quilts. Many of you have offered sewing help and if we all lived in the same neighborhood it would be so much easier to drop off a set of blocks at your house or have you all over for a giant binding session. It's harder when we're spread across the country and the world. Postage is pretty prohibitive for sending blocks and quilts back and forth and back and forth, but that doesn't mean I'm not getting any help. I sure am. First, all the comments and the moral support mean more than you know. It motivates me to tackle the sewing, so thanks.

Kathy Mack, you all know Kathy of Pink Chalk Studio and Pink Chalk Fabrics. Kathy is not only a participant, she's also one of those folks who've got my back. When she signed up for the project she let me know right away that she could help with backing and binding the quilts and for me to contact her when it was time. I did, and did she ever come through. Kathy has committed 10 sets of backs and bindings for the quilts, but not just the fabric, she's making them for me. Can you believe that, with her busy schedule (I'm assuming that, Kathy, but I'll bet it's true!) The first backs arrived this weekend. I can't tell you how much time this has saved me, not to mention how beautiful they are and how they will enhance the quilts. Thank you Kathy. If Pink Chalk isn't a site you visit, you should go now. Kathy is an sewing expert, pattern designer and a pretty savvy business woman. I've learned so much from her, even about a great margarita!

Can you feel me standing up straighter? There's another great lady that is supporting me and this project in a big way. It's Jane of JanesFabrics. Jane is another fabric shop owner that responded to my call for help. Jane emailed and said she had fabric that she could donate for quilt backs. I said great, but I never expected this HUGE box to arrive packed, stuffed, jammed with fabric. Jane is most the generous person. Not only has she helped me, she's put together sets of fabric to support the black and white quilt challenge and she has a great store with wonderful fabric. I just got a set of red reproduction fabrics from her. She picked them for me...simply perfect. I think in real life Jane might be Samantha from Bewitched. Those fabrics were at my house before I could blink my eyes. Did you just twitch your nose and zap them to me, Jane? Totally perfect, fast service. Jane has a new little grandbaby too...congrats Grandma Jane!!

Please think about what you might do to say thanks to these gals...hmmm, buy fabric maybe? A quick thank you would be great too.

My son was over for a little while on Monday (for food), when the mailman came with his armload for me. My son commented, "more quilt stuff." As we sat at the table I opened envelopes one by one. And then I came to Peg's. Peg, of Ivy Arts, not only sent two great blocks, but a quilt back, beautifully sewed and a rolled binding to match. There was a beautiful card with 20 dollars tucked inside. For postage, she wrote. She and her friend Becca have been so generous and supportive. My son probably said it best. After I opened Peg's envelope he said, "there are some really nice people in the world." Isn't that the truth. Peg's not the only one either...Katiejean added a piece of fabric in her package to use for a back and after cruising the flickr group I saw the gorgeous back that Heidi has pieced. Thanks Heidi, I can't wait to see it in person! Ronit also sent backing fabric and Katie P sent fabric that was perfect for binding.

I don't know how many quilts will be the final product of Project Improv. I've already put together more than my original estimate and quilters are still joining in. I will keep making tops as long as the blocks come in. My commitment to all of you is that whatever you send this way will make it into a quilt.

I know that was a lot of reading, so how about some eye candy. Two more tops have been completed. Here they are with their contributors. (I'll try to take some better pictures and put them on flickr...no sun around here!)
Blue/Green Quilt #1
Annie Illinois
Maggie Iowa
Bekhy*3 Oregon
Gail Missouri
Chelsea Washington
Kathy Maine
Betty Ninja New Hampshire
Linda Ohio
Jackie Connecticut
Leslie Wyoming
Janis Illinois
Anina Washington
Tess United Kingdom
Ronit Michigan
Heather Washington
Rebecca Massachusetts
Peg Massachusetts
Dallas Belgium

Blue Green Quilt #2
Julie Mississippi
Mary Washington
Jackie Connecticut
Peg Massachusetts
Alissa California
Linda* 2 Ohio
Bekhy*2 Oregon
Helen*2 Australia
Kathy Maine
Cheryl New York
Amber Hawaii
Caron Minnesota
Sarah Canada
Tia Australia
Kristin Oregon
Maggie Iowa
Vicki Kansas

The third blue/green top is in progress and I think I have enough blocks for one more pink/orange top. I have a couple more backs to piece and these will be off to Jackie and Pam for quilting.
More blocks have arrived this week...yippee! Keep them coming folks!
Nancy 2 blocks (thanks for the moonflower seeds and the notepads! it's just about planting time here.)
Jody 1 block
Diana 2 blocks
Jennifer 1 block
Julie O 1 block
Kathy 2 blocks
Amy L 2 blocks
Katiejean 2 blocks
Peg 3 blocks, backing, binding and 20 dollars....thanks Peg!

If you don't see me on the blog for a bit, I'll be sewing. I have loads of things I need to get done and work on around here. Stephanie and Susan, please forgive me for not doing a proper thank you for the wonderful gifts I received from you. I promise I'll get some pictures taken. I really will! I told myself to answer these last comments and then turn OFF the computer. Hold down the fort for me!

33 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

How terrific of Kathy and Jane! Lots of amazing ladies. The quilts are just gorgeous and all the blocks just seem to "fit" together perfectly.

Kate said...

You are doing such an amazing job!

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

I can't believe how great these blocks look sewed together! Count on one more pink backing and binding set to arrive this week. It's in the mail.

shellysquilts said...

Amazing job Jacqui. These quilts are truly fantastic. Happy sewing!

audreypawdrey said...

They are all looking so beautiful! It really is amazing how generous so many people truly are. It helps to remember that when things are down. It looks as if there will be many beautiful quilts!

Unknown said...

wow. What wonderfully generous people, the quilts are looking amazing. You are doing such a fantastic job.

Unknown said...

Amazing! The community just keeps getting better - and for your son to see it is great! The tops are looking so beautiful!

connie said...

These quilts are going to be incredible. Thank you so much for connecting all of us so we can participate. I put my blocks in the mail yesterday.....Take Care

Marie' said...

Great work, Jacquie! I will send in more blocks.

Stephanie D said...

Looking good, Jacquie! All different, but going together so well.

BTW, your links to Jane's site keep giving me an error message. Maybe too many https in the mix?

Kathy's and Peg's sites work just fine.

Alissa said...

Outstanding! Both the help from everyone and the beautiful quilt tops. Seriously Jacquie this must be so much work for you!! But the results are amazing!

Twisted Quilts said...

The quilts are beautiful and so unique. You are doing great, hang in there.

Sherri said...

What great help you are getting...and the quilts are all so amazing!

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful example of people coming together for a good cause and reiterates one of my core beliefs: that most people want to do good things for others, and just need the leadership, guidance, and delegation of someone like you. Congratulations for doing it. It's wonderful.

em's scrapbag said...

The quilts are looking great! Thanks for all your hard work. I am glad you are getting some help. Wish I was closer so I could be part of the fun.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You do not need to thank us, we need to THANK YOU, you are a kind soul. thank you for all your hard work on this effort.

Unknown said...

Fantastic ladies! They are bother very generous! Jane did a similar thing for me when I made a request for pillowcases for the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. She sent gads of fabric that we cut up and kitted to make many pillowcases. I have alerted Pam that the quilts are on their way! I can't wait to quilt these up for you!

Anonymous said...

Jacquie---wonderful job. It is refreshing to watch such a collaboration of kind souls working together for the common cause, especially when our country is going through such a trying time and so many people are suffering. May God continue to bless your efforts and those who support you.

Anonymous said...

Jacquie---wonderful job. It is refreshing to watch such a collaboration of kind souls working together for the common cause, especially when our country is going through such a trying time and so many people are suffering. May God continue to bless your efforts and those who support you.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

So inspiring! Gorgeous quilts - even though the styles and colours vary - the quilt blocks all work so well together.

Anonymous said...

This is really inspiring! And you are such a special gal that it's not surprising that you are surrounded by such wonderful people, online and otherwise!

Anonymous said...

Jane is the absolute best. I discovered her on ebay. The fabrics are not only beautiful but are packaged beautifully which I feel is an added bonus.

A really classy lady from my area in Illinois.

Carol E. said...

The quilts are turning out just stunning!! Thanks for inspiring us to do these fun blocks.

Victoria said...

The generosity and goodness of people blow me away. How wonderful! (And inspiring).

The quilts look great!

linda said...

Hey Jackie, don't forget about my offer to quilt some of the quilts. I can also supply batting.

QuiltedSimple said...

These look great - if you need help, just holler!
Kris

Laurie Ann said...

Great quilts. I especially like the aqua and red one. I have my own charity group, the Blanket Brigade, and we make quilts that go to foster kids. It's nice giving back, eh?

Louann said...

It's nice when friends "got your back". The quilts are so lovely. The colors are great.

bettyninja said...

these look amazing! You are doing an excellent job of making them all work together. Things look great!

Rebekah said...

what amazing work and what an amazing community! You are a saint for organizing all of this!

Anonymous said...

This is so amazing and inspiring. Jacquie, you are so kind and generous to organize and do so much work. I love what your son said. It's communities like this one that really restore my faith in the basic goodness inherent in the human heart.
The quilts are coming together so nicely. Man, they are gorgeous.
I'm sure someone has suggested this already, or perhaps you have already thought of this, but wouldn't these quilts all look so nice in a book?

bellsjo said...

these quilts are beautiful! what an amazing project done by some very talented and lovely people.

dutchcomfort said...

I love Kathy’s work, blog, shop, patterns! How wonderful she’s helping! And all the other wonderful ladies with helping hands!

I wish I lived closer. I can stitch bindings on quilts for hours and hours...LOL!